Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Waterford Crystal’s Andrew Power battling with Carrick United players Mark O’Meara and Manus McFadden during their Premier Division clash at Tom Drohan Park on Sunday. Photo: Eamonn Russell.

Dungarvan United have been dragged further into the relegation dogfight at the foot of the O’Neill’s Premier League table after they failed to overcome the challenge of Southend United in their clash at Kilrush Park on Saturday night last.
It looked as if things were going to plan for the home side, who sit just four points off the bottom, when they twice took the lead in the game, but they were pegged back by a Southend United side that have moved on 18 points, just two points off the top of the league table.
The Old Borough outfit took the lead with 18 minutes on the clock when Ryan Donnelly broke the deadlock with a neat finish only for the men in tangerine to level the tie through John O’Donnell with seven minutes remaining in the first-half.
Patrick Lynch was the man that regained the lead for the home side ten minutes into the second-half when he found the net from inside the penalty area to give his side the advantage. Southend kept on fighting and they won a penalty that was converted for the equalising goal thanks to David McGrath’s well-taken spot-kick.
As time ticked down and the game looking likely to finish in stalemate, it was Southend that grabbed all three points with just under two minutes remaining in the contest when Mark Phelan, who was returning from injury, cracked home the winner to give his side a big three points in the title race.

Reigning Premier League champions Carrick United won’t be retaining their title this season after they slipped to a fifth league defeat of the season after the Tom Drohan Park outfit lost out at home to Waterford Crystal on Sunday morning last.
After a scoreless first-half, it was Crystal that struck for the only goal of the game when Andrew Power found the net and this win also moves Crystal a single point behind league leaders Hibernians, with the latter having a game in hand.
Hibernians were in action in the Munster Junior Cup on Saturday afternoon last where they took on Stradbally. In a hard-fought encounter, it was a hat-trick from Mark O’Keeffe that gave the Mitchell Kennedy Park outfit a 3-2 success. This result now means that Hibernians will now have a home game against Borroway Rovers in the next round of the competition.

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

Breen tops in West Cork

More by this Journalist

Breen tops in West Cork

WIT are league champions

Walsh Park set for Munster SHC dress rehearsal