Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Villa Youths team are into the National Cup semi-final after defeating Carrigaline United on penalties on Sunday.

Villa goalkeeper Josh Kelly proved to be the hero for his side as the Connor’s Park outfit booked their place in the final four of the New Balance FAI Youth Challenge Cup when they defeated Cork side Carrigaline United away from home on Sunday afternoon last.
Kelly produced two brilliant penalty saves in a dramatic shootout to lead Conor Coad’s side to the semi-final where they’ll be hoping for a home tie when the draw for the next round is made during the course of the week.
It looked as if the Waterford outfit were going to win the game in normal time when they opened the scoring five minutes from time, only for the home side to bring the game to extra-time with the final action of the game.
With Carrigaline on top in the first half of the game, they couldn’t really trouble the Villa goal before the Connor’s Park outfit came out in the second-half and took the game to their opponents. It looked as if they done enough to win the game when opening the scoring on 85 minutes when John Fredrick Tamen went on a good run before pulling the ball back to Salim Ahmed to fire home.
Carrigaline scored the equalising goal in the seventh minute of added time to shock Villa, but they regrouped well with extra-time failing to produce a goal. The penalty shootout saw Josh Kelly come up trumps with two brilliant saves, while Darragh Power, Niall McSweeney, Callum Stringer and John Fredrick Tamen finding the net as Villa progressed to the semi-finals.

Carrick United have bowed out of the Munster Junior Cup after losing out to Limerick side Pike Rovers in their quarter-final clash played at a wintry Tom Drohan Park on Sunday afternoon. After the visitors knocked out Hibernians in the last round, Carrick knew that they would be up against it and their cup bid just fall short.
Rory Finnegan had a close-range effort saved early in the game after Mark O’Meara had an effort from 25-yards parried by the Rovers keeper before the visitors took the lead from the penalty spot when Conor Kavanagh beat Carrick keeper from 12 yards with 18 minutes on the clock.
Referee John Ferncombe stopped play shortly afterwards due to the weather conditions and when play resumed it was Carrick that equalised on 36 minutes when Eric O’Halloran had a shot parried by the Pike Rovers keeper and Dale O’Mahony couldn’t miss from the close-range rebound.
It has to be said that Pike were on top in the second-half with the aid of the conditions and they struck for what proved to be the winning goal when Paddy O’Malley beat Darragh Gibbs with a brilliant curling effort that found the top corner of the net.
The final chance for Carrick came in the dying seconds of the tie when Eric O’Halloran cracked in a shot from 25-yards that whistled inches wide of the target and gone with it was the chance of the home side bringing the game to extra-time.

Dungarvan United have joined Tramore Rangers on the foot of the O’Neill’s Premier League table after playing out a 2-2 draw with Bohemians in their league clash played at Kilrush Park on Saturday night last. It was Ryan Donnelly that gave the home side the lead before Bohemians equalised from a Shane Nolan penalty.
Andrew O’Connor regained the lead for the Old Borough outfit from the penalty spot on 70 minutes before the Ben Wadding Park scored a crazy equalising goal when goalkeeper Stefan McCurley, who once played with Dungarvan, found the net direct from a wind-assisted kick-out to give his side a massive point in the survival race.

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist

Irish man dies after incident in New York