Saturday, October 10, 2020

Waterford FC 0


Shelbourne 1

After 15 years away from the RSC, Daryl Murphy returned to a Blues’ shirt this evening against Shels, unfortunately it wasn’t the result he was hoping for. Photo: Noel Browne.

SSE Airtricity Premier Division

Waterford FC have suffered back to back defeats in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division as Ryan Brennan’s 83rd minute goal was good enough to give Shelbourne a 1-0 win to put a massive dent in their opponents European hopes in their meeting at the RSC this evening.

After the Blues had the best of the chances, they couldn’t convert with both Ali Coote and Kurtis Byrne denied by super Jack Brady stops before Daryl Murphy, on his return to his hometown club after a spell of 15 years away, flashed a super volley over the bar two minutes from time.

Dayle Rooney was wide with a good chance for Shelbourne inside the opening sixty seconds before Ciaran Kilduff reacted quickest to a Georgie Poynton left-wing corner-kick on 15 minutes, but Brian Murphy saved with Oscar Brennan failing to convert the rebound.

After Tyreke Wilson saw his free-kick saved by Brady, it was the Shelbourne keeper that produced a stunning save on 19 minutes to keep the hosts at bay when Ali Coote raced clear on goal after a Matty Smith through ball, but the ball was turned around the post.

Five minutes into the second-half and it was Brady that kept Fran Rockett’s side at bay when Will Fitzgerald whipped over a right-wing cross that picked out the run of Kurtis Byrne, but the netminder dived full length to tip the ball out for a corner-kick.

Rockett introduced Daryl Murphy for the last 15 minutes as his side went in search of the breakthrough goal and within two minutes he put the ball on a plate for Will Fitzgerald on the left-side of the area, but his shot was inches wide of the far post.

Shelbourne struck for the winning goal on 83 minutes when Tunmise Sobowale gave away a free-kick out on the left-side when pushing over Ryan Brennan and after Georgie Poynton sent in a brilliant ball into the danger area, Brennan got the final touch to head the ball past Brian Murphy.

It was Daryl Murphy that could have capped his comeback to the club with a brilliant equalising goal two minutes from time when he superbly controlled Tyreke Wilson’s left-wing delivery, but his stinging volley flashed over before Robbie McCourt went close late on only for his deflected effort to come wide.

*Full report and reaction in Tuesday’s Waterford News & Star

Comments are closed.

By Adrian Flanagan
Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

“Knock-out hurling suits the underdog”

More by this Journalist