Sunday, June 06, 2021

Galway 4-28


Waterford 3-23

Waterford’s Seamus Keating and Galway’s Joe Canning battling for the ball during their Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group A game at Pearse Stadium, Galway this afternoon. Photo: Inpho/James Crombie

It’s not too often that you score 3-23 away from home and lose but this was one of those days as Waterford conceded 4-28 in Salthill as they lost out to Galway in the Allianz National Hurling League.

The visitors got off to a great start and a second minute goal by Jack Prendergast had them 1-2 to 0-1 in front after seven minutes.

The gap was five, double scores, 1-7 to 0-5 at the first water break but Galway struck back soon after with their first goal of the game through Adrian Tuohey to cut the gap to three.

Back came Waterford and after setting up the first goal, Shane Bennett scored his side’s second 27 with a brilliant drop shot into the top corner following a pass from his brother Kieran.

Further points from Dessie Hutchinson and Shane Bennett followed to ensure that Waterford led by six, 2-12 to 1-9 with three first half minutes remaining.

But then the game turned in Galway’s favour as the scored 2-4 without reply (the goals coming from Joe Canning and Brian Concannon) to go into the half-time break in front, for the first time in the game, on a score of 3-13 to 2-12.

After Evan Niland opened the second-half scoring the Déise boys struck back with a brilliant catch and shot to the net by Dessie Hutchinson to cut the gap to two. That lead was down to one moments later from another Calum Lyons long range effort but that was as close as the visitors would get.

Three in a row for Galway stretched their lead to four and it was five when Canning struck a beautiful sideline cut on 48 minutes.

By the second water break it was a six point lead for Galway on a score of 3-22 to 3-16 and Waterford looked in trouble.

A fourth Galway goal arrived in the 57th minute when Joe Canning set up Brian Concannon to push the Tribesmen into a 4-25 to 3-19 lead.

Dessie Hutchinson and Calum Lyons, continued to take the fight to the home side but in the end Galway held on for a comfortable and deserved eight point win on a score of 4-28 to 3-23.

  • Full report, reaction and analysis in Tuesday’s Waterford Sport in the Waterford News & Star.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

More by this Journalist