Thursday, October 14, 2021

TODAY (Thursday) sees the announcement of a further five week extension on the massively extended deadline date for the Public Realm Works in Tramore. The most recent date for completion for the project was issued on September 13 for an estimated completion date of October 18. A month later, on Thursday October 14, the deadline has been pushed out until November 22.
Commenting on the announcement, a spokesperson for Waterford Council said, “Limestone kerbing and steps have been installed adjacent to the Vee Cafe and Seagull Bakery.  Currently the paving crew are installing the ‘infill setts’ (Portuguese granite) and assuming favourable weather conditions will complete the works to the junction of Broad Street and Queen Street. In order to continue the works beyond Queen Street / Broad Street and onto the junction with Strand Terrace, a three to four week road closure will be required and the link from Broad Street to Queen Street will not be open to through traffic. It is anticipated that these works will have a three week duration and will be complete towards the end of November. ”

Following this work as detailed above, the contractor, Niall Barry & Co have announced their intention to focus their efforts on the junction between Gallwey’s Hill and Turkey Road, which had been started last year in the height of the tourism season, before being temporarily halted. These works will require a closure of two to three weeks. However, commenting on these works, Waterford Council made it clear that “a firm decision as to when these works will commence will be dependent on the progress on the Main Street works. Limestone kerbing and steps have been installed adjacent to the Vee Cafe and Seagull Bakery.  Currently the paving crew are installing the ‘infill setts’ (Portuguese granite) and assuming favourable weather conditions will complete the works to the junction of Broad Street and Queen Street.”

Works which are ongoing on Market Street up to the Supervalu carpark are expected to continue into 2022. Apart from some comments made in the last year at Metropolitan Council meetings where emergency vehicle accessibility concerns were made, there has been very little in the way of local representatives commenting on the enormous delays, which have caused detrimental setbacks to business in the area.

Works will resume at the intersection once Main Street has been completed

Local Councillor, Eamon Quinlan (FF) issued a statement today to say this announcement is “disgraceful and frustrating.” He said, “while the end results will be welcome, the disruption, negative impact etc on small businesses and residents is immense. Waterford City & County Council cannot proceed with more large public realm capital projects if they are to continue in this ad hoc, amateur fashion.”

 

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More News

More by this Journalist

€2.1m Tramore works budget exceeded

Unique opportunity to buy Rockett’s pub