Sunday, September 18, 2022

Gaultier’s JJ Hutchinson, who scored 1-10 on the day, is tackled by Kilmacthomas’s Kavan Dee in Walsh Park. Photo: Maurice Hennebry.

County hurler Billy Power shot six points from play (three in each half) as fourteen man Rathgormack beat Kilrossanty 1-17 to 1-12 in Sunday’s first round clash at Fraher Field. Jason Curry also raised six white flags (four from placed balls) for last year’s runners-up.

Willie Hahessy netted on 24 minutes after a defence splitting hand pass from Conor Murray. Power and Stephen Curry scored three points apiece from play as Kenny Hassett’s side led 1-11 to 1-4 at the break. Kilrossanty goalkeeper Paul Whyte sent Paudie Hunt the wrong way from the penalty spot after 28 minutes.

Three more Power singles opened up a ten point gap. Kilrossanty top scorer Donie Fitzgerald got the score of the weekend when he split the posts from 45 metres off the outside of his right boot.

The winners finished with fourteen men as Stephen Curry was shown a second yellow card with nine minutes left. Kilrossanty kicked the last five points of the contest including three from Alan Dunwoody.

In the curtain raiser, a late Cian Fagan goal helped Ballinacourty to a 1-11 to 1-6 victory over Clashmore Kinsalebeg.

Goalkeeper Aaron Beresford converted three second half frees for the winners. Patrick Hurney also sent over three points. Pat Curran’s side were guilty of fourteen wides.

Kian Kelly-Carey got a consolation goal for Clashmore in injury time. Brian Lynch landed four frees while Luke Coughlan slotted two from play.

JJ Hutchinson kicked 1-10 (1-6 from play) as Gaultier got off to a winning start against Kilmacthomas at a sunny Walsh Park on Saturday. A 55th minute goal sealed a 1-14 to 0-6 win for Michael Flynn’s side.

Hutchinson has been part of the Gaultier senior panel for the last 20 years. “Bar my two kids and my wife at home, there’s nothing I love more than playing for this club. I still get a tingle down my spine when I’m driving into the field to go training.”

The Nire began their defence of the Conway Cup with a 1-13 to 0-5 victory over Stradbally at Fraher Field on Saturday night.


eShane O’Meara found the net in the first half for Michael Ryan’s men while Sean Walsh starred at midfield with four points from play. Aaron Ryan knocked over three from play.

Robert Aherne missed a second half penalty for Stradbally. 39 year old Michael ‘Brick’ Walsh started on the edge of the square.

  • Full reports on all these games in Tuesday’s Waterford News & Star.

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

Dunhill boy picked on Irish MotoCross team

More by this Journalist

Gleeson guides The Nire to narrow win