Sunday, March 12, 2023

Tipperary 4-23


Waterford 0-25

Waterford’s Carthach Daly attempting to get away from Tipperary’s Dan McCormack during their Allianz NHL clash in Semple Stadium on Saturday night. Photo: Inpho/Ryan Byrne

Fourteen man Waterford suffered their first league defeat of the Division 1B campaign as Tipperary ran out 4-23 to 0-25 winners on a rainy Saturday night in Semple Stadium.
Jake Morris netted a hat trick for Liam Cahill’s side who recorded their first competitive victory over the Déise since 2020. Waterford joint captain Jamie Barron received a straight red card in the second half after an off the ball incident.

Tipp outscored Davy Fitzgerald’s charges 2-7 to 0-6 after that. Calum Lyons was Waterford’s star man with four points from play.
Wind assisted Waterford went three points up after four minutes with Jack Prendergast, Stephen Bennett and Neil Montgomery all on target. In the seventh minute, Jake Morris goaled for Tipp after he was supplied by Dan McCormack.

The teams were level four times in the first quarter. Calum Lyons picked off two long range points.
The home side then pulled away with seven unanswered points. Top scorer Gearoid O’Connor finished the half on 0-8. Jamie Barron ended a 21 minute barren spell for the Déise. Two points from the Fourmilewater man and two Stephen

Bennett frees narrowed the gap to four at the break (1-12 to 0-11). Ronan Maher hooked Calum Lyons when he was through on goal.
Prendergast and Lyons pointed at the start of the second period. Prendergast and Montgomery both whizzed shots across the face of goal and wide. Four unanswered points, two Bennett frees and one each from Iarlaith Daly and

Prendergast, edged the visitors ahead 0-17 to 1-13 on 48 minutes. Bennett and the lively Colin Dunford kept Davy Fitzgerald’s men in front. Tipp sub Jason Forde tied the scores for the eighth time.
With fourteen minutes left, Waterford turned the ball over in defence and Morris pounced for his second green flag. Jamie Barron then saw red for an off the ball incident with Conor Stakelum. On 58 minutes, Stakelum set up Conor Bowe who goaled with his first touch of the game. Patrick Fitzgerald and Lyons closed the gap to four with late points. Morris completed his hat trick with two minutes to go.

Contact Newsdesk: 051 874951

More Waterford Sport

Blues hit seven as Long era off to a flyer

More by this Journalist

League weather and championship experiments

No Down time as league final approaches